There is nothing quite as tasty as a big bowl of chili once the temperatures start to drop. My husband is obsessed with all things spicy so I figured it was high time I made him something other than my relatively tame (and healthy) turkey chili. There is nothing mild about this beef chili with chiles chipotles mixed in. It’s HOT! It is also a great source of iron and protein. Bookmark this one for later this winter!
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large diced sweet onion
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced green chili pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsps chili powder
- 1 15 oz can (drained) kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsps diced chiles chipotles in salsa adobo picoso
- 1/2 bottle dark beer
- 2 tbsps sweet bbq sauce
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- Cook ground beef in a skillet, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon.
- In a large pot combine canola oil, onion, and peppers. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add meat to vegetables and then stir in all other ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat stirring often for 40 minutes. (Leave lid on for first 15 minutes and remove for remainder of time.)
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese or sour cream and serve hot!