Over the last few months I have gotten many requests from readers to include more simple meals and recipes. Easy kid-friendly dinners are on the way, but for now let’s start with lunch. I’ve always sort of overlooked this middle-of-the-day meal but I’ve been recently been challenging myself to get more creative. I am a big fan of chopped salads with tons of mix-ins but sometimes you need something with a little more oomph! Tartines (tartine is the French word for “slice of bread”) are a great alternative to a traditional turkey sandwich. Below are three of my favorites!
Hummus and Avocado Tartine
- Spread a heaping spoonful of hummus on a freshly sliced baguette.
- Slice avocado and layer on top of hummus.
- Sprinkle with Maldon sea salt and fresh pepper.
Egg Salad Tartine
- Dice two hard boiled eggs.
- Add 1 tbs mayonnaise, 1 tsp yellow mustard, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Place a piece of crisp lettuce on your freshly sliced baguette and pile egg salad on top!
Ricotta Tomato Basil Tartine
- Mix 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 tbs grated parmeson, and salt/pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Slather ricotta mixture on a freshly cut slice of bread.
- Layer with sliced baby tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil.