When John and I lived in NYC and I was working long hours as a television reporter my guilty pleasure was watching movie trailers on Moviefone late at night before bed. (Don’t poke fun. For me it has always been the simple things in life…) I didn’t have time to go to the movies so the abridged version had to do. My girls have clearly inherited my love of all things cinema – and when allowed to choose a weekend activity it is always “Movie night!” To spruce things up in our pink princessy home I got creative the other night and made the girls a batch of pink popcorn. Simple, delicious, and thoroughly entertaining.
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs butter
- 6 drops red food coloring
- Pop popcorn in an air-popper or in a covered pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of the pot. (I am loyal to an old-school hot air popcorn popper.)
- Once popped – set popcorn aside.
- In a small pot combine all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir and pour over popcorn – tossing to coat.
- Spread on wax paper and allow to cool for 10-20 minutes.
- Once cool break up popcorn and share!
*Recipe adapted from Lark and Linen