When it comes to cooking, I am completely sold on quick healthy meals. This pulled bbq chicken is delicious and easy to make. Easy being the optimal word since I find that by early evening, this mama is TIRED! And if you can get two meals out of one cooking session it’s even better. When I use my slow cooker for soups, chili, and pulled pork/chicken, I usually get more than one meal out of what I prepare. I recently made pulled chicken sliders for dinner, and was thrilled to use the leftover chicken two days later (yes! food does save for 3-4 days in the refrigerator) to make Gourmet BBQ Chicken Pizza for me and my husband. I know we all joke about the “set it and forget it” tagline, but I promise you, if you do not own a slow cooker you are missing out. I love this one here, and would say we use it on average once a week. I also recently found Wewalka Pizza Crusts in the produce section of my grocery store, and think they are by far the best pre-made pizza crust I have ever tried. Below are the two simple recipes. Get cooking!
Easy BBQ Pulled Pork
- Rinse and pat dry 4 large (deboned) chicken breasts and place in the slow cooker.
- Thin slice one large sweet onion and add to chicken.
- Pour 1/2 cup dark beer into slow cooker.
- Pour one bottle of BBQ sauce on top of the chicken (I like Stubb’s BBQ Sauce) and add 1/2 cup water until chicken is totally covered in liquid.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 6 hours and cover.
- After 6 hours remove breasts from slow cooker and use two forks to pull apart the chicken and shred it.
- Put chicken back in the slow cooker and stir well, leave slow cooker on “warm” setting.
- Serve on soft potato rolls with extra bbq sauce, pickles, cole slaw, and sweet potato fries!
Gourmet BBQ Pizza
- Roll out pizza crust and place on pizza stone or large baking sheet.
- Top crust with 3 large spoonfuls of bbq sauce.
- Layer a large scoop of shredded chicken on top of sauce.
- First sprinkle fresh arugula and then shredded mozzarella or goat cheese on top of pizza.
- Cook for 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven, checking after 10 minutes and removing when crust is golden brown and cheese is fully melted!